Maria Teresa Maiullari-Pontois was born 1963 in Turin, yet she belongs to an ancient family in the Puglia area. She trained in History at the
Turin University, namely under the lead of the famous historian of the European Enlightenment, Franco Venturi. She defended later her Ph. D. thesis at the High School for Historical Studies in San Marino, following several years of comparative research on the guild structures in Genoa, Toulon and Marseilles in the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries, based among others on French historian Maurice Agulhon works.
At the same time – or later - she worked for the Luigi Einaudi Foundation in Turin (an active centre for international meetings – and for a scientific publisher in Rome. Ath the beginning of the 90s she elected Paris as her residence, and henceforth she got in contact with the seminars at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales and shifted to a different field of research : that of industrial heritage – either Italian, French, or European and finally international, especially viewed from its human aspects (in particular, the ideological roots and the physical and material realizations of workers housing initiated by the employers). She consequently joined the international movement for the protection and promotion of industrial heritage, as embodied by
TICCIH , soon becoming one of its Board members.
From 1996 she became in charge of the international programme at the Ecomusée du Creusot-Montceau les Mines, a landmark of both French mining and iron working history from the end of the XVIIIth century, and the birthplace of the « revolutionary » concept of “ecomuseology” at the beginning of the 70s. She is managing the Ecomuseum’s participation in a series of European programmes with multiple partners.
In 2000 she was the co-author with Louis Bergeron of a book entitled
Le Patrimoine industriel des Etats-Unis (Paris, Ho¨ebeke) which appeared simultaneously in its American version
(American Ingenuity 1750-1950: Architecture, Industry and Engineering, New York,.Harry N.Abrams) She has contributed in several occasions to
Universalia (the anual volumes published in Paris by Encyclopaedia Universalis) for the section dedicated to industrial heritage, and since 1999 she is the chief editor and co-founder with Louis Bergeron of the international Journal
Patrimoine de l’industrie / Industrial Patrimony, published by TICCIH in partnership with the Ecomusée du Creusot-Montceau and with ICOMOS.
Further, she was
lecturer at Paris IV University (Paris-Sorbonne) and in several European
universities. Her teaching fields were: industrial culture and
patrimony, communication politics and the use of media in merger and
absorption of medium and large industrial companies; technical and
scientific preparation of applications to European programmes, in the
cultural and research areas.
the Council of Europe, from 2002 she is the Manager of Koinetwork
From 2005 to
2009, she was successively senior researcher at the
Ecole des Hautes Etudes en sciences Sociales in Paris, General
Secretary of the Phoenix Health and Welfare - a special master and Phd
training programme of the European Commission; from 2009 to 2012 Vice
Director of the Department Research and Development at the Ecole des
Hautes Etudes en sciences sociales; from 2012 to 2014 Director of the
International Relationship Service at the University of Versailles Saint
Quentin en Yvelines; from 2014 she is Projects Officer at the Centre
National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) in Paris.